Don't Read Unless You Lost Your Passport!

Don't Read Unless You Lost Your Passport! What is a Lost Passport?

A passport is a legal document issued by the Federal Government, which enables an individual to travel abroad. Without the acquisition of a passport, an individual is legally not entitled to enter or leave a given country.

If an individual – through carelessness, accident, or robbery – has lost their passport, they must replace it before travelling. 

It is they encouraged to immediately report the lost passport to the United States Department of Consular Affairs. 

Passports, due to the increased amount of fraud and the dangers associated with entering a foreign country, have become highly regulated documents in regards to the application process, the renewal process, and the filing for a new passport.

What to do if you lost your Passport

If you have lost your passport, you must not onlyreport the lost document, but you also must embark on the retrieval process in accordance with the guidelines expressed by the Federal Government’s Depart of Consular Affairs: The following forms must be filed to initiate the retrieval process for a lost or stolen passport.

Form DS-64: The Form DS-64 is the official document that expresses a statement regarding a stolen or lost passport. The filing of this form is not analogous to an application for a replacement passport; an individual must apply for replacement passport in person – in addition, the applicable fees must be satisfied.

If an individual recovers a lost passport, they are required to deliver it to the following address; upon receipt of the passport, it will be destroyed – once a passport is reported as lost, it will not be reactivated:

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services

Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section

1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20036

Replacing a Lost Passport

To replace a loss passport, the same measures must be taken as if the individual applicant were applying for a new passport. This process includes the submission of all applicable documentation and fees. The applicant must submit the following documentation to their local passport offices (government buildings, including post offices, municipal buildings or court houses:

A valid birth certificate or a government-issued identification – both must be original copies

A valid social security number

A photograph that meets the requirements expressed by the Passport Office. The photograph must be in color, 2 inches by 2 inches in measurement, and taken within 6 months prior the application.

The individual must satisfy the $75 service fee, as well as an additional processing fee of $25.

If the individual would like to receive their passport in an expedited process (2-3 weeks)  theapplicant must pay additional $60 surcharge.

Legal Assistance associated with Lost Passports

If an individual faces confusion or difficulty with the obtainment of a new passport or the reporting process of a lost passport it may be beneficial to contact an immigration attorney. These legal professionals can be instrumental throughout the application and approval process with regard to a Lost Passport. 

The following forms will be needed if an applicant wishes to include a legal professional in the retrieval or reporting process of their lost passport.

Form G-28: The Notice of Appearance for the Attorney or Representative presents the expressed permission on the part of the non-citizen for the presence of a hired attorney or approved representative with regard to the reporting and replacement of aLost Passport

Form FC-029: This Certification of Photocopiesallows for the approved submission of official documents in the form of photocopies with regard to the reporting and replacement of a Lost Passport; these documents are considered to be valid and acceptable in lieu of the original documentation. However, photocopies of official, government documents are neither accepted nor recognized without the completion and processing of this form

Related Topics